Major Urban Centres such as Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto should look to the City of Victoria’s bylaw with regard to its’ free parking policy on Sundays and Statutory Holidays.
The City of Victoria is forgiving any motorist who received a parking ticket on a surface city parking lot on Canada Day.
Any motorist who received a parking ticket as a result of parking at a surface lot July 1, have the ability to call the City of Victoria, and have their parking ticket(s) cancelled.
The parking tickets range from $20 to $40, depending on when they were due to be paid.
The City of Victoria’s on-street parking downtown and at City-owned parkades is free on Sundays and Statutory holidays.
2010 Statutory Holidays
New Year’s Day Friday, January 1, 2010
Good Friday Friday, April 2, 2010
Easter Monday Monday, April 5, 2010
Victoria Day Monday, May 24, 2010
Canada Day Thurdsay, July 1, 2010
August Civic Holiday Monday, August 2, 2010
Labour Day Monday, September 6, 2010
Thanksgiving Day Monday, October 11, 2010
Remembrance Day Thursday, November 11, 2010
Christmas Day Saturday, December 25, 2010
Boxing Day Sunday, December 26, 2010
and Monday, December 27, 2010
10. There are 33 parking spaces downtown for persons with disabilities. $150.00 penalty for violations.
9. Parking in front of any driveway is a violation.
8. Parking Officers are all trained in First Aid.
7. 90 minute meters have a five (5) minute grace period.
6. Green meter heads are for cars less then three metres long, motorcycles and scooters.
5. First hour free parking coupons are available at participating retailers.
4. Sunday and holiday parking is free in City parkades.
3. Pre-paid parking cards offer a refund on unused meter time.
2. You cannot park all day at broken parking meters or ones with missing meter heads – you can only park at those meters for the time allowed within that zone.
1. Our Parking Officers do NOT have quotas.