More and More G20 Charges Dropped As Time Progresses

Update: see previous posts – December 22, 2011 G20 Activist Unapologetic As She Receives a Sentence of 10 Months, December 10, 2011 McGuinty to Declare the1939 Public Works Protection Act Null & Void in the New Year, November 23, 2011 11 G20 Defendants Set Free, November 3, 2011 G20 – Chair of Toronto Police Services Board concerned about G20 Photo’s (June, 2010), October 27, 2011 G20 Arrest for Weapons Charge Results in Acquittal, October 5, 2011 G20 Review by Toronto Police Services Board is Expected to Conclude by March, 2012, August 12, 2011 Toronto Deputy Police Chief Tony Warr Defends Actions of Police During G20 (June, 2010), July 29, 2011 Judge Rules that Man Arrested at G20 Should Have Been Provided Counsel, July 23, 2011 Twenty One (21) Month Sentence for Man Who Set G20 Police Vehicle Ablaze, July 22, 2011 G20 Investigator Wants Law to Ban Disguises After 17 Suspects Unidentified, July 21, 2011 Toronto Police Chief Blair’s Report on the G20 is Deferred, June 25, 2011 G20 Summit Toronto – First Anniversary (June 26 & 27, 2011), June 18, 2011 Harper Falls Short on Toronto Businesses’ G20 Claims, June 10, 2011 G20 – Final Public Hearing for the Toronto Police’s Civilian Review, June 10, 2011 G20 – Another Arrest, June 7, 2011 G20 Update – Who Assaulted Adam? Nooobody!, June 1, 2011 Ottawa Police Enjoy Their Share of the G20 Money Pie, McGuinty to Scrap the Secret G20 Law (1939 Public Works Protection Act), March 31, 2011 The “G20 Bump” Translates into a 60% Increase of Toronto Police Making the 2010 Sunshine List, March 19, 2011 Harper Screws Toronto’s Businesses, March 18, 2011 New G20 Lawsuits Launched Against Toronto Police Board, December 7, 2010 Ontario Umbudsman André Marin Delivers Report on G20 “Caught in the Act”, August 8, 2010 G20 Litigation, August 1, 2010 Damage$ Flowing from Charter Breaches

see source

A year and a half after the G20 summit, the number of cases dropped is increasing and a fraction of those facing charges are still waiting to go to court, according to the latest update from Ontario’s attorney general.

One of about 70 protesters arrested on the University of Toronto campus in June 2010 is led away in leg chains. Critics of police behaviour during the G20 summit say the small number of convictions shows that the mass arrests were unjustified. STEVE RUSSELL/TORONTO STAR

Of 292 cases that have been resolved, 201 were stayed by the Crown, withdrawn or dismissed, according to the update released Tuesday.

That’s up from 187 dropped cases in June — a fact critics say confirms that they were justified in questioning the appropriateness of mass arrests.

“There shouldn’t be such a high arrest-to-dismissal ratio,” said Abby Deshman, public safety program director for the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

“I think it underscores for us the necessity to ask further questions about why these charges were laid and demand accountability again.”

During the G20 weekend in June 2010, more than 1,100 people were arrested — the largest mass arrest in Canadian history.

Some 330 defendants have appeared before the court, including four federal drug-related cases. Only 34 people are still awaiting a conclusion to their lengthy public ordeal.

Eight more people have pleaded guilty over the past six months. That includes six so-called ringleaders of a group that struck a plea bargain deal last month which allowed 11 others to go free.

The number of people actually found guilty of G20-related crimes now totals 32.

Some 39 cases have been resolved through “direct accountability,” which allows some low-risk offences to be resolved through community service or other diversion programs.

Of those still awaiting decisions, 26 will have their cases adjourned to later this month or sometime in the new year.

Deshman said the length of the legal proceedings for some defendants remains a concern, especially for those with strict bail conditions.

“To have those people eventually have their charges dismissed or dropped really means that you’ve been holding their liberty at bay for a year and a half,” she said.

Eight individuals are still wanted under warrants.

The attorney general’s office has released regular updates on G20 prosecutions at six-month intervals since November 2010.

By the numbers

330: Number of people charged related to the G20

201: Charges dismissed or withdrawn since the G20

39: Number of people whose cases were resolved through diversion programs

34: Number of defendants awaiting resolutions to their charges

32: Number of people who have pleaded guilty

11: Number of people subject to peace bonds

9: Number of people who were listed in error (typically duplication)

It's only fair to share...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Pin on Pinterestshare on TumblrShare on LinkedInShare on RedditEmail to someone

One thoughtful comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.