Update: see related post April 26, 2012 Toronto Parking Authority to Upgrade Parking Meters, Allowing Meters to Accept Loonies/Toonies – Increase in Rates to Follow
However, it will cost much less than the $1 million Toronto is spending to upgrade their meters. That’s because Hamilton’s parking meters are easier to reprogram, and there are fewer of them.
Most of Toronto’s costs are associated with “pay and display” machines. Hamilton only has 40 of those. The rest of the city’s 2500 parking meters are *regular* ones that are much cheaper to upgrade.
Drivers are also being asked to keep different types of change. Pennies are the only coins not accepted.
On-street parking meters in the Downtown are $1.00 per hour. All meters are clearly signed and marked with rates and times relative to each parking space. In addition, the hours of operation may vary according to location by either time of day and/or day of week.
A large portion of the downtown allows for free on-street parking after 6:00 p.m. daily, all day Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays.
Quick Facts for Hamilton Parking:
- The average Daily Rate in Hamilton municipal car parks is $5.58 compared to the Canadian average of $13.77.**
- The average Monthly Rate in Hamilton municipal car parks is $56.76 compared to the Canadian average of $155.99.**
- There are 800 short-term on-street parking meters for your easy access.
- Parking is FREE at most on-street parking meters after 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Look for the orange face plates inside the meters.
- Most on-street parking meter rates are as low as $1.00 per hour.
- There is a 10 minute grace period after the paid time has expired at on-street electronic parking meters.
- There are 18 municipal surface car parks and 2 covered municipal car park facilities for a total of 3254 parking spaces.
- There are several municipal car parks with rates as low as$0.50 per hour.
- There are several car parks with a Daily Rate of only $4.00.
- There is FREE on-street parking from November 24th to December 24th.